Monday, August 9, 2010

Please Understand..

... that I am really bad at remembering to post in blogs. On that note, HI! I'M POSTING NOW AREN'T YOU PROUD.
(I am speaking to no one, I realize that, and I love that, and it delights me to talk to empty internet space.) ♥

I don't exactly know what knitting blog protocol is, so I'm going to wing it.

The other day, on the way home from dog sitting, my darling boyfriend suggested that we go to the knitting store I have been absolutely dying to go to : Loop and Leaf
[link].
It was absolutely amazing, because I'd never really been to a JUST yarn store before..? Yeah, I was like a kid in a candy store, only all of the candy was soft and squishy and just divine. I can safely say I pretty much touched everything in that store at least twice.

DERAILMENT FOR THE SAKE OF NOT FORGETTING : Yesterday I was doing this crossword puzzle, right? And the clue was "South American animal, it's wool"... I was so impressed by my speed in coming up with "ALPACA!" (which yes, I shouted to an empty house and a very surprised kitty) it was just fantastic. (:

So after wandering around the small-yet-bigger-than-I-thought Loop and Leaf (they sell tea, hence the leaf), I finally settled on the yarn I would buy.
Because you know, I couldn't go in there and NOT buy anything, that would be criminal. Especially after I touched everything in the damn store.

So I got this :


Some delicious Ella Rae Lace Merino, which is, go figure, 100% Merino wool. (I know, it's shocking!)
It's really, really soft. Really. And pretty. And as you can (I hope) see, fingering weight. Which for some reason I'm really liking, even though the small-ish needle tips it's knitted with hurt my fingertips, and I have to wear a bandaid on my left pointer finger as a totally lame thimble.

So anyway, at the time of buying the yarn, I had no idea what I was going to make with it. Which led to :

"So. What are you going to make with this yarn?"
"I actually have no idea."
"I have a lot of yarn I don't know what to do with."
"Oh, me too. An entire basket."

I was so blissed out by the whole experience I could think of nothing else to say, and so I stood in a slightly uncomfortable-but-not-quite-because-yarn-stores-are-awesome silence while she wound the two 460 yard hanks into balls, so I didn't have to whip out my state of the art diningroom chair system and scare my cat with all the yarn.

Blah blah blah, talk talk talk.

So I decided I was going to make this : Goddess, by Stitch Diva. (I would post you a picture, but it's being feisty, and I don't want a picture that is that large, thank you very much.)
And this is what I have so far :


I think it is turning out very well. Just... Pay no attention to the fact that needle is quite obviously far too short for the piece right now. It looks ridiculous, but I don't care. It will look better later. :D
The pattern calls for some silky yarn, for the drape and all, and I know that. But. I am quite happy with the choice I made, because the knitted fabric is so lovely and comfortable and amazingly soft that it will be nice either way. I'll just have to fiddle around with the cowl neck a bit.
Which I am totally willing to do, because, like I said, THE FABRIC IS SO SOFT. ♥

Anyway.
I have an art portfolio for architecture school that I have supposed to have been working on all summer that I, of course, have not been working on all summer.
And I just now realized this.
So I'm off to draw pictures of god-knows-what. Adieu!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Background by Ava7Patterns