Saturday, August 21, 2010

Rice Krispie Treats of Awesome.

Once again, this isn't knitting. But it sure tastes better.
So I invite you, to make some amazing snacks to accompany your knitting exploits. Just make sure you don't get gooey marshmallow on anything. (:


Lyssie's Rice Krispies (in treat form!)
(it had to rhyme. really. it did.)


You will need:
5 3/4 cups of Rice Krispies
5 cups of mini marshmallows
1 stick of butter (don't worry, it doesn't all go in!)
A splash of vanilla

A 9x13 baking pan
A saucepan
A large mixing bowl
A smaller bowl that can hold 5 cups of little marshmallows!
A spoon

Method:

1.
Measure out 5 cups of marshmallows, and put them in the bowl meant for them and them alone!

2. Measure out 5 3/4 cups of Rice Krispies, and put them in the larger bowl to wait.

3. Cut the stick of butter in half (still in the wrapper), and place half of it aside for later.
Put the half you still have (4 tablespoons) into the saucepan, and turn on the heat to medium.

4. When the butter has completely melted (don't let it bubble! if it's almost done, pick up the pan and swirl it around until the butter melts), add in a few handfuls of marshmallows, and stir to coat with the butter.
marshmallow action shot!

5. Add in the splash of vanilla, and stir it in. If it doesn't stir in completely, don't worry. It will.

6. When the initial marshmallows are close to melted, add more. Continue in this manner until you've added all the marshmallows.

7. Stir until totally smooth. Turn off the heat.

8. Pour the marshmallow mixture into the big bowl with the cereal.

9. Begin the amazing task of trying to get the cereal completely coated in the gooey, sticky marshmallow goo. It's fun! I promise.


10. Retrieve that other half of the butter stick. Peel back the paper, and coat the bottom and sides of your pan with it. Do a good job, it pays off!

11. Using whatever means necessary, transfer the mixture into the buttery pan.

12. Using the spoon, and then both hands (unless you're like me, holding a camera in one hand), spread it around and compress it down, until it's all even and nice looking.

13. While you're waiting for the next 20 minutes for everything to set up and become delicious, don't forget you have a bowl of leftovers and a pan with buttery marshmallow to eat. Or wash, but probably just eat.

14. 20 minutes later, cut into pieces, and enjoy!

So there you have it. Delicious, gooey, not too dry, not too soft Rice Krispie Treats.
It isn't quite the recipe on the box -- it's better.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

Pro tip : When you have to wash the pans, don't do it right away. You'll break your arm trying to deal with the gooey stuff.
Just fill them with water, and let them sit around for a while. I waited a whole day, cause I just hate dishes. When you go to wash them, everything will come out much better.
It also smells really yummy. :D

7 comments:

DaneMum said...

YUM!!! That's a HORRIBLE post -now I'll have to go and make these rice crispies/mashmallow cakes first thing tomorrow!!!
:D

Anonymous said...

Ohh....looks great! I might make some of my own now. I'm craving rice krispy treats now. I have a bit of a secret recipe though, which was created with my grandmother. I'm missing it :)

Lotusblossom Knits said...

Mmm, delicious ... Now I just have to find vegan marshmallows ...

Anonymous said...

I have made probably about 20 batches of these in the past 4 months for my husband! I have never added in vanilla though so I will def give that a try! I found that using a plastic spoon (not a regular size eating spoon) i didn't waste any of the gooey deliciousness because nothing stuck to the spoon :) it is a durable cheapie spoon too:)

Dina said...

you should also try using peanut butter in them, and of course drizzliing melted chocolate over them also

alyssa. said...

Plastic spoon. Gotta remember that.

& I came SO close to drizzling chocolate over them. SO CLOSE. But I wanted to just have plain ones... Chocolate ones will come later.

Anonymous said...

I just blogged this week about how crochet is making me fat....then you go and post about one of my favorite vices - Rice Crispy Treats! I can't take it! I am going to have to make an entire new wardrobe!!! :)

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Background by Ava7Patterns